Thursday, February 11, 2010

Cradle to Cradle thinking - Waste = Food


During the recent snow storms, I was housebound for many weeks except for a trip to the local post office/grocery store. It wasn't too bad - I survived. However, during this period the trash accumulating in the house began to become a problem.

I have bags and bins for all sorts of recyclables; but inevitiably there is refuse I cannot recycle. The bins over flowed with plastic bottles from water, washed cat food and aluminum cans, glass jars and bottles...etc. But the worst was when the kitchen became so cold, the refrigerator shut down. The inside of the frig was warm compared to the room and everything inside grew mold: all the frozen food thawed and went bad. This made more garbage - and unpleasant at that. Outside the road was impassable.

I began thinking how much waste in packaging I had accumulated from consumables in just over six weeks. Garbage is a big issue in my life - and I live a fairly spartan existence. The problem is not what to do with garbage though: the problem is how to design a system that does not produce it.

Enter 'Cradle to Cradle' (C2C) thinking.
Today, with our growing knowledge of the living earth, design can reflect a new spirit. In fact, the authors write, when designers employ the intelligence of natural systems—the effectiveness of nutrient cycling, the abundance of the sun's energy—they can create products, industrial systems, buildings, even regional plans that allow nature and commerce to fruitfully co-exist.

Cradle to Cradle by William McDonough & Michael Braungart

Video
One cannot solve a problem with the same thinking that created the problem. -Albert Einstein

William McDonough is now working with China to help design C2C towns.

No comments:

Welcome

All blogs are really just small snapshots of a person's mind, heart and soul as they evolve together through life....

Small bits of the thread of life we weave together into the fabric of ourselves, in the hope we will make sense of our existence, individual and collective.

On this page, is the cloak I have fashioned from my fabric to warm myself in a universe which often makes little sense.

Inside my cloak, it is warm enough to face the blistering cold winds of the insane world in which I find myself.

If you find some a bit of 'the good stuff' here, it has been my pleasure.