Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Consumer Art Photos - or what's left over

I often get tired of facts and figures, sorting through commentary for value; pictures have a way of making concepts and conditions real in a way the written word cannot.

Consumerism has been a driving motor of economy for a hundred years. We now see the natural result of placing this engine at the center of our civilisation. Chris Jordan has taken a magnificent set of photos using items of daily consumption to tell a story of great beauty with a message not easily understood in language.

I reprint one series here; Chris's website has many more worth viewing if this one suits you. Hope you will enjoy them.



Depicts 28,000 42-gallon barrels, the amount of oil consumed in the United States every two minutes (equal to the flow of a medium-sized river).

No comments:

Welcome

All blogs are really just small snapshots of a person's mind, heart and soul as they evolve together through life....

Small bits of the thread of life we weave together into the fabric of ourselves, in the hope we will make sense of our existence, individual and collective.

On this page, is the cloak I have fashioned from my fabric to warm myself in a universe which often makes little sense.

Inside my cloak, it is warm enough to face the blistering cold winds of the insane world in which I find myself.

If you find some a bit of 'the good stuff' here, it has been my pleasure.