Thursday, January 8, 2009

Why bother feeding Gazans at all?

At the beginning of the Iraq invasion, I recall listening to the radio as the USA announced that the bombing would cease and food and medical supplies would be air dropped in the afternoon. What incredible absurdity! At the time I was working for a local paper and thought what a shame that the publication's topic did not include such unbelievable events.

Shocked this morning at Israel's allowing humanitarian supplies into Gaza for three hours daily, the horrible irony of 'Bomb 'em, Feed 'em, Bomb 'em' washed over me like a rogue wave on the beach. It is insanity. The hostility would end with a bomb-bomb stratedy; or with a feed-feed option (this option being the true solution for all but one that would be inconceivable for Israelis).

Let's see now....why not just Bomb 'em, Bomb 'em? The answer to this would reveal the types of international power cartels most of us don't know about and which will not be revealed on mainstream news. Whatever stays Israel's bombing campaign in Gaza, is a mystery. Consider the following:

1. Israeilis have already announced they don't give a flying fart about world opinion. And I think they are telling the truth here.
2. Perhaps Israel has had an epiphany of conscience? It feels badly for Gazans and wish to make up for some of the damage of the past half century? And act decently toward the undeserving terrorists?
3. Or perhaps Ohlmert feels guilty about the injured Palestinian children?
4. How about this one? "Bomb 'em, Bomb 'em" has become unpopular with Israelis and is hurting Ohlmert's political status? I doubt this from reports I have read; all show that most Israelis support the bombing of Gaza.
5. Israel has decided the 'lesson' to Gaza is sufficient and now wishes to ease off? It's possible, I suppose: depends on what the orignial motive for the invasion is (and we don't know that).

I am still left with the gruesome question, 'Why feed and provide medical supplies to Palestinians between bombings at all?' It is clear Isreal wants to slaughter Gazans: do Israeli soldiers need a three hour nap in the afternoon to have strength for the evening slaughter?

Taking as certainty that Israel never does anything that is not in its own self-interest, what stays the hand of the savage bully between torture and murder sessions? Israel has a reason for this action and, since it would be safe to rule out altruistic motives, why the change of tactics?

Cui Bono? Israel first of course. How? This is the question that haunts me.

I have few facts to go on but some are safe assumptions:

  • Russia has been actively pressuring Israel
  • EU and UN ditto
  • USA stands behind Israel
  • British Government in support; British people mostly against the bombing.
  • China? Who knows?
  • Arab countries? Differences.
  • Big Dogs (Creme de la creme, Rothschilds, Rockefellars etc.) have been silent in the media

What occurs to me is that from among these influences, Israel has been given a hearty incentive to switch to a "Bomb 'em, Feed 'em" strategy. It could be positive or negative and from any source or combination of powers as listed above.

Someone perhaps, has threatened Israel with some consequences, in either the economic, military or political arenas; and, it is in Israel's self-interest to listen. Most* would approve of humanitarian aid entering Gaza, even if the Israelis will continue to slaughter them three hours later. Where there is life, there is hope.

But Israel does not act from this motivation; in fact, Israel wants Palestinians to have NO hope.
Most agree this will only make the resolve of the Palestinians hotter than 'Molten lead'. Again, this is certainly not the reason Israel has agreed to a three hour ceasefire for humanitarian aid.

So what is Israel's motive? I am left puzzled in the mystery and absurdity of it all. I have learned one thing though: If I keep asking the tough questions again and again, sometimes over decades, eventually I get an answer. The worst thing is though, I don't always want to know the answers I get; and the only way to screen out the horror, is to not ask such pesky questions to begin with.


*Most: I refer here to readers of this blog.

No comments:

Welcome

All blogs are really just small snapshots of a person's mind, heart and soul as they evolve together through life....

Small bits of the thread of life we weave together into the fabric of ourselves, in the hope we will make sense of our existence, individual and collective.

On this page, is the cloak I have fashioned from my fabric to warm myself in a universe which often makes little sense.

Inside my cloak, it is warm enough to face the blistering cold winds of the insane world in which I find myself.

If you find some a bit of 'the good stuff' here, it has been my pleasure.